The Ministry formulates and implements policies and strategies to facilitate growth in industry, investment, trade, tourism, co-operative businesses, micro and small enterprises; and enhance metrology, standards and consumer protection.
These roles and responsibilities are undertaken by the Economic Unit, Trade Unit, Department of Tourism, Department of National Trade Measurement and Standards, Department of Co-operative Business and Corporate Services Division, within the Ministry, including Trade Commissions in Taiwan, Los Angeles, Shanghai and Papua New Guinea.
The Ministry is supported by seven (7) statutory organisations namely Consumer Council of Fiji, Fiji Commerce Commission, Investment Fiji, Film Fiji, Tourism Fiji, Real Estate Agents Licensing Board and National Centre for Small and Micro Enterprise Development.
A major part of the Ministry’s roles and responsibilities involves the implementation of the following 21 Laws and 6 Trade Agreements.
1. Commerce Commission Decree 2010
2. Consumer Council of Fiji Act 1986
3. Consumer Credit Act 1999 and accompanying amendments
4. Fiji Audio Visual Commission (Licensing of Audio Visual Agents) Regulation 2012
5. Fiji Islands Audio Visual Commission Act 2002
6. Fiji Islands Trade and Investment Bureau Act and (Amendment) Decree 2011
7. Foreign Investment Act 1999 (Amendment) Act 2004 and (Amendment) Decree 2013
8. Small and Micro Enterprise Development Act 2002
9. Tax Free Zones Decree 1989 and accompanying amendments
Department of Cooperatives Business
10. Co-operatives Act 1996
Department of Tourism
11. Denarau (Nadi River) Development Decree 2011
12. Regulation of Surfing Areas Decree 2010
13. Superyacht Charter Decree 2010
14. Tourism Fiji Act 2004
15. Indemnity, Guarantee and Bailment Act
16. National and Trade Measurement Decree 1989 and accompanying amendments
17. Real Estate Agents Act 2006 and accompanying amendments
18. Sale of Goods Act 1985
19. Scrap Metal Trade Decree 2011
20. Second Hand Dealers Act 1982
21. Trade Standards and Quality Control Decree 1992 and accompanying amendments
1. Interim Economic Partnership Agreement (I-EPA)
2. Melanesian Spearhead Group Trade Agreement (MSGTA)
3. Pacific Closer Economic Relations (PACER)
4. Pacific Island Countries Trade Agreement (PICTA)
5. South Pacific Regional Trade and Economic Co-operation Agreement (SPARTECA)
6. WTO Agreements